Thank you for your interest in becoming a Foster Parent!
The Humane Society of Utah (HSU) is always in great need of foster volunteer parents. The HSU’s Foster Care Team and dedicated volunteer foster parents work with nearly 3,000 animals each year.
The Foster Care Program exists to help animals that have already been surrendered for adoption. If you have a personal pet that you cannot keep for a period of time because of a personal problem, please look into local boarding/daycare facilities.
Temporary homes are needed for the following types of animals:
- Mama cats or dogs with kittens or puppies too young to be placed for adoption.
- Orphan kittens or puppies, without a mama, in need of bottle-feeding. (We supply the milk replacement formula).
- Kittens or puppies who are weaned but still need several weeks in a home before they are old enough to be spayed/neutered and placed in adoptions.
- Sick or injured animals (dogs, cats, rabbits, small pocket pets) that need time to rest and receive medication in a home.
- Foster homes are also needed for adult dogs and cats that need socializing. Sometimes, these animals are just kennel-shy and don’t show well at the shelter. Other animals don't do well at the shelter and benefit from TLC in a foster home.
- Medicine will be supplied by HSU for sick animals.
- Kitten or puppy milk replacement formula will be provided for orphaned babies without a mama.
- We ask that foster parents provide the food for their foster pets unless otherwise indicated for a sick animal.
- In the Spring and Summer, our greatest need is for mama cats with litters, bottle feeding kittens, and orphaned kittens that are not bottle feeding but need more time before being ready for adoption.
- If you wish to be a foster parent, it is your responsibility to ensure that your own pets are current on their vaccinations. This includes Bordetella.
- Foster time in homes ranges from 10 days to approximately 2 months. We ask that you keep the animal(s) as long as it takes to ensure their good health and are ready for adoption.
To fill out the Foster Care Application online, please complete the form below. For more information about becoming a foster parent, please call the Foster Care Team at 801-261-2919 ext. 215, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Click HERE to read our Foster Parent Policy.
Being a foster parent is fun and rewarding. You are literally a lifesaver!!