Compassionate Communication Workshop
You are here
Connect with your canine, yourself and others
Presented by Marissa Martino, CTC, CPDT-KA
Saturday, July 28 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
At the Humane Society of Utah Auditorium
* This is not a training class for your dog. Please leave your pet at home.
Description: Marissa Martino, CTC, CPDT-KA, certified positive reinforcement dog trainer, coach, author, and speaker has a unique approach when it comes to dog training and the relationship with your canine companion. Her innovative approach, Human/Canine Behavior Connection is designed to help you and your canine companion expand as individuals and grow together as a team. Marissa’s approach consists of 4 parts outlined below. The most unique part of her approach is teaching people how they can learn who they are and expand as individuals by looking at their relationship with their canine companions. Marissa states, “This relationship can be a window into how we relate to the world around us, offering insight to what holds us back and showing us where we can expand into our greatest potential.” Marissa’s approach was outlined in her published book: Human/Canine Behavior Connection: A Better Self Through Dog Training.
● Engaging presentation, videos and interactive exercises throughout the class.
● Part 1: Training the Owner
○ Understanding your response to your dog's behavior
○ Introducing training & behavior modification concepts: How dogs learn, reading canine body language and understanding the emotional lives of dogs
○ The parallels between how you and your dog perceive the world.
● Part 2: Training the Dog
○ Understanding your dog's behavior and their relationship to the world
○ Using positive reinforcement training techniques
- Break: drinks and snacks provided. -
● Part 3: Enhancing the Relationship
○ Introducing the 6 relationship-building principles to enhance your training and connection
○ Implementing play & bonding exercises
● Part 4: Enhancing Yourself
○ Learning who you are in all relationships
○ Using the training & behavior modification process and relationship building principles to grow as a person
○ Exercises to foster a deeper connection between you and your world
Marissa operates a private practice, Paws & Reward, specializing in fear, reactivity and anxiety. Marissa’s unique approach inspires behavioral transformation for both dogs and their owners. She believes that our relationship with our canine companions can be a window into how we relate to our world around us and allows us an opportunity to expand as individuals. She outlined this approach in her recently published book Human/Canine Behavior Connection: A Better Self Through Dog Training.
Video about Human/Canine Behavior Connection: https://youtu.be/1hUJM0OXfVQ
"Marissa's workshop and her book have really helped our family! One of my dogs is super sensitive to people’s energy. When people around him are happy and relaxed, he’s happy and relaxed. When people around him are anxious, he gets anxious. He’s becoming my little barometer. His behavior lets me know when I need to hit my own reset button and take care of myself. Marissa's workshop and book are changing our household for the better."
"Marissa's workshop is filled with insight from her many years of working with animals. Her approach to a better self through the relationship you have with your animal is not only nuanced, it's something that can benefit all of us "pet parents." Her honesty, compassion, openness, and relatability make all of her presentations thought-provoking and truly enjoyable."
"Marissa has really captured some of the journey towards building a relationship with a dog, especially one who may have some behavioral needs. What's best about this workshop is how she lead me to consider how the patience, compassion, and curiosity I have developed with my special needs dog can apply to and benefit my other relationships."