June 11 - 29, 2018 (Monday through Friday)
July 9 - 20, 2018 (Monday through Friday)
July 30 - August 17, 2018 (Monday through Friday)
*Camp hours will be added shortly
We are looking for highly reliable volunteers to help facilitate our Humane Society of Utah (HSU) H.E.R.O. (Humane Educators Reaching Out) Summer Camp for children! Volunteers for H.E.R.O. Summer Camp will be acting as Counselors. Counselors must be dependable, mature and responsible. Counselors must demonstrate leadership skills as well as the ability to follow direction and be a team player. Ideal Counselors should also have experience working with children.
- You must be at least 18 years of age. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have parent permission.
- You must commit to work at least one full week of the camp. Shifts are from 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday, during the week of camp. (Shifts may vary depending on the week).
- Due to the amount of time it takes to train Counselors, we cannot accept anyone that can only work half days or partial weeks.
- We strongly encourage Counselors to sign up for multiple weeks if possible.
- You must be willing to commit an orientation session (a few hours during one day prior to the camp) and a training session (a few hours one day about a week before the camp begins).
- You must obtain a current background check and finger print set before you will be accepted into training (details will be explained after your application is accepted).
During a typical day at H.E.R.O. Camp, children will participate in age-appropriate humane education workshops, presentations, working with shelter pets, games and more. Workshops will focus on different types of animals each day, many with visitors – two-legged, four-legged, finned and feathered – from other animal welfare groups in Utah.
Our goal is to provide campers with information and experiences that will foster a sense of empathy, appreciation and respect for all animals!
It is very important for Counselors to understand that their job is to work with the children and help facilitate the many different activities throughout the week. Counselors will be helping with set-up and clean-up, monitoring and managing children’s behavior, monitoring and supervising during the lunch break and play time. Although Counselors will be working around a variety of animals, the main focus will be the children and assisting the various instructors with anything they might need.
We will contact you within five to seven business days. Please note that submitting an application does NOT guarantee a H.E.R.O. Camp Counselor position.