June 11 - 29, 2018 (Monday through Friday)
July 9 - 20, 2018 (Monday through Friday)
July 30 - August 17, 2018 (Monday through Friday)
*Camp hours will be added shortly
We are looking for highly reliable interns from college and university education programs to help facilitate our Humane Society of Utah (HSU) H.E.R.O. (Humane Educators Reaching Out) Summer Camp for children! Interns for H.E.R.O. Summer Camp will be acting as Counselors. Counselors must be dependable, mature and responsible. Counselors must demonstrate leadership skills as well as the ability to follow direction and be a team player.
Stipends for interns (must be currently matriculated) are available. Interns working nine weeks before and during the camp are eligible for a stipend of $1000. Please contact our Humane Education Director for more details on stipends.
Counselor Internship Requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must be matriculated in a college or university education program.
- You must commit to working at least all nine full weeks of the camp. Shifts are from 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday, during the weeks of camp. Camp hours may vary depending on the week.
- Due to the amount of time it takes to train Counselors, we cannot accept anyone that can only work half days or partial weeks.
- You must be willing to commit an orientation session and a training session before the camp weeks begin.
- You must obtain a current background check and fingerprint set before you will be accepted into training (details will be explained after your application is accepted).
During a typical day at H.E.R.O. Camp, children will participate in age-appropriate humane education workshops, presentations, working with shelter pets, games and more. Workshops will focus on different types of animals each day, many with visitors – two-legged, four-legged, finned and feathered – from other animal welfare groups in Utah.
Our goal is to provide campers with information and experiences that will foster a sense of empathy, appreciation and respect for all animals!
It is very important for Counselors to understand that their job is to work with the children and help facilitate the many different activities throughout the week. Counselors will be helping with set-up and clean-up, monitoring and managing children’s behavior, monitoring and supervising during the lunch break and play time. Although Counselors will be working around a variety of animals, the main focus will be the children and assisting the various instructors with anything they might need.
We will contact you within five to seven business days. Please note that submitting an application does NOT guarantee a H.E.R.O. Camp Counselor internship position.